I have four kids and I don't know about you, but my kids are constantly having to come up with new invention ideas for school projects. They helped me come up with some "memory joggers" for ideas that kids can develop possibly into some great ideas. Some kids need to actually make something while other projects just involve coming up with something in theory, I list both.
1. Dream Controller: A device that could control what a person will dream about. Pick a new dream each night if you want, or have a continuing dream like chapters in a book.
2. Bed Head Restorer: A hair brush with a built in spritzer that spritzes water in areas that are unruly as you're brushing you're hair.
3. An extension cord that's wireless: This could also be really handy for people who use things like an electric snow shovel.
4. A wheelchair that can back up steps
5. For people who are blind, a Cane Sensor which can detect and make a sound when a person is close to an object in a room.
6. Shoe sensor: Going along the lines of the cane sensor, something could be developed to have a similar sensor embedded on the toes of a persons shoes.
7. A portable power device that a person could charge their phones, iPods, or computers with whenever they are out and about and a battery dies.
8. A solar powered flash light
9. A solar powered lawn mower.
10. A Clean Teeth Detector. This could be done with an electronic tooth brush that has a type of laser built in. When a person has finished brushing his or her teeth, toothbrush could read how well his or her teeth were brushed and rate in on a scale of 1-10. This way, a person really knows when he or she is done brushing. Could eliminate some dental cleaning bills if it's used right.
11. A jar that vacuum seals itself
12. A garbage can with a retractable lid. This would eliminate you're lid blowing away or the trash collectors mistaking it for garbage which has happened to me so many times in my life I can't count.
13. A bug zapper which attracts insects (by smell maybe) and then zaps them. You'd need something for the bugs to fall into as well if used indoors.
14. Glow in the dark clothes including watches, jewelry, hair accessories, shoes.
15. A camera for classrooms so if a kid has to miss several days, a camera could be given to him or her so they can still participate in class.
These are just a few new invention ideas my kids helped come up with. I'm sure you can take some of them and develop them into something even better. The key is to have fun with the ideas.